Wanda Gene's Musings on Life, Love and Loving the Quilting Life!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Today I Am Tackling my Disorganized Batty Scraps!


 

I know.  It is really batting scraps that is the subject of this post.  I must have made a Freudian slip when I typed that.  And then, just because I felt like it and it does sort of fit how I'm feeling, I left it that way.

I decided to finally do something about the boxes in my closet labeled "Batting Scraps".

Does any one else have boxes like of those?   You know who you are.  If you are into using all your scrappy fabric like me, you know that you are not going to throw away perfectly good batting that you paid a lot of money for, just because it is in a lot small to medium pieces.

But how do you use it?

Well, I needed a batting for a full size quilt (about 80x92).  And I pieced it.  Went just fine.  I used a loose whip stitch and pieced it by hand.  You could also piece it by machine if you prefer using a really long and wide zigzag.  If your pieces really aren't straight, you can overlap them an inch or two, then cut down the center of the overlap.  Remove the trimmed edges, and, Voila!....your edges are a perfect match.


One thing that I kept in mind is to only piece together batting scraps of the same manufacturer and type.  Don't mix up battings that don't go together.  And throw away anything that you just cannot imagine ever using.

Okay, some batting used up.  Then I tackled the remaining pieces.  There were still lots of them.
I wanted to make it easier and more user-friendly to actually keep on using them up.  So I measured the pieces and labeled them so I could just grab the right size batting for the next small quilts that I make.  Same goes for long pieces of usable width that are a candidates for piecing into a big batt.




Do you see how I stuck the pin in the label the opposite way that we usually do.  This is so that no pins stick into another piece of batting and tear a hole in it.

I am so looking forward to using up more of my now measured and organized batting pieces!






No comments:

Post a Comment