So sorry to be such slacker in the blogging department. I have been having computer/blogger/photo/solar flares problems...that means that I have no idea what has been causing it.
So I just gave up a few times. Thought I would try again....sometimes time heals wounds even with computers. Not very often but occasionally.
So far, so good, today.
Uh-oh. Actually not so good. Loading picture trouble big time. Now my computer cannot even recognize my camera docking station as another drive. This is where I call in the cavalry in the form of my DH. We'll see what he can figure out.
Now I'm back again. DH took the memory card out of the camera and inserted it directly into the computer. He is so clever! I did not know how to do that. I guess I had a vague idea but when it comes to computers that doesn't even buy you a cup of coffee to spill on the keyboard! DH thinks that maybe the docking station or cables are bad.
I have actually taken a little time off from quiltmaking. Well, this is my temporary break, or rather a DETOUR, away from quilting, just for a couple of weeks. This is a lovely task that I work on every couple of years or so. I hate to shop for nightgowns and it is so much easier by far to just make them.
Especially when you have an oldie-but-goodie pattern that you've made dozens of times and, of course, it always fits! So I turn them out almost on the assembly line. I made FIVE comfy and pretty nighties. It took about 2 1/2 days each (one day for cutting, one day for sewing, and the 1/2 for processing the scraps into strips, changing thread colors on my Bernina and serger, and generally cleaning up.
One of the best results of nightie making is massive stash reduction! Oooh, each one uses up 3 1/2 yards of beautiful quilting fabric that I can now WEAR! My total damage to the stash is 17 1/2 yards! That means that I can replace it, of course! There is some fun fabric shopping in my future!
Here are the results (I'm taking a deep breath now):
Here are two of them. The other three are identical except for different fabric, of course.
Here is a close-up of the neckline detail of another one. Yes, I made two pink ones out of slightly different prints. The neckline and the sleeves are finished with a binding technique that I learned in Stretch n Sew class in the 70's (lots of us remember that class, don't we?) that was called Chanel trim. Basically it is a binding finish that is turned under on only one side. It results in a feather-light finish compared to using bulky, uncomfortable facings. Chanel trim is often found in RTW.
Here is how it works:
Start with 1" wide BIAS strips that are long enough to finish the edge that you are working on. I finish the side that goes on the inside on my serger.
Then sew RS's together to the garment edge, fold to the back and ditch-stitch on the front. Easy as pie!
My photo could be a lot clearer, but this gives you the idea of what the finished edge looks like. I mention this technique because you won't find it in the pattern since it is my own adaptation and I love it!
Next I will be making some backings for some tops that need quilting. And also having lovely dreams of traveling in the TARDIS with Doctor Who and his friends....